Monthly Update: January

Happy new year to all! We’ve accomplished a lot in the lab this month, even though many of our members have been occupied with FRC build season.

Software: This month has mainly been dedicated to making networking more reliable and reducing the need for configuration. When the robot turns on, it now sends a signal searching for a server, which can reply back to the robot and connect.

Mechanical: We have made so much progress mechanically this month! We completely disassembled the robot in order to accommodate for a different-sized conveyor belt than originally expected, and reconstructed the frame. In addition, we built the paddle wheels out of large circular cuts of ABS and steel tins which will catch the water and propel the robot forward. Mechanically, the robot is looking good.

Control Systems: Everything is looking good in the electrical side of the robot. Next to come is mounting talons and wiring them to the BeagleBone.

Financial: Although cash is running low, we are winding down to the last few expenses for the physical robot. Our major purchases for the month include the ABS for the paddle wheels, and the conveyor belt system.

Communications: All of the member bios have been uploaded on the site, so make sure to get to know our members through the “Our Crew” tab! You also might have noticed the new website banner and photos – we received our InvenTeams polo shirts this month! In other news, we presented and met with key members of the Lemelson-MIT program: Josh Schuler, Executive Director of the Lemelson-MIT InvenTeams and Michael Cima (faculty director of the Lemelson-MIT Program).

New pictures will be posted soon! Keep a lookout and remember to like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/catlininvents .